Bacterial corneal abscesses can occur when lenses are not handled carefully. In extreme cases, amoebae can attack the cornea, resulting in visual impairment or even blindness. This is particularly prevalent when lenses are washed in water or worn for too long in the shower.
Here are some simple tips to keep your eyes and lenses safe:
• Always wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling your lenses.
• Disinfect re-usable lenses in a solution to prevent build ups of harmful organisms.
• Do not re-use or top up the disinfecting solution – always use fresh.
• Rinse the storage case, leave it open to dry and replace once a month.
• Do not re-use disposable lenses.
• Do not wear your lenses in the shower.
• Have a spare pair of prescription glasses available in case you are unable to wear your lenses.
If you have any doubts or worries about your lenses the team at Vision Centre Gloucester will be happy to offer advice. Drop in to make an appointment at the Centre at 114 Northgate Street or contact them on 01452 410494. Their website can be explored at www.visiongloucester.co.uk.